Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What's the procedure to change the room please?

This question by Swami led to his ragging in the hands of his seniors in Munnabhai MBBS. I dared to ask the same question here, and not surprisingly it led to my ragging too, albeit at the hands of the authorities at IITG.

The situation was very simple. I needed to move from hostel A to hostel B since hostel B hoists the antenna I require for my project. Plus, its a well known secret here that there's a policy to keep all m.tech guys in hostel B, so this shouldn't be a problem at all. I met a fellow hostellite who had changed his room recently -

"What to do to change the hostel, mate?"
"Write an application to the chairman of the hub"
"Chairman of the what?"
"Hub"
"Hub?"
"Hub"

Now, in computer science jargon, a hub is a dumb device that receives a signal at one of its ports and forwards it on all other ports, without bothering to process that signal. I was wondering what a hub had to do with hostels (well, later i learned that it was actually HAB - Hostel Affairs Board). I wrote an application, dated 11th July 2007, and gave it to the chairman, who lazily signed it and forwarded it to the Convener of the Allotment Committee. Chuck HAB, hub it is.

I met the Convener of the Allotment Committee (lets call him CAC) the next day (12th), he assured me that this was a trivial matter and asked me to come back in two days. I went back on 16th (no, I wasn't lazy. 14th-15th was weekend), CAC told me to meet the caretaker of hostel B to get a room allotted. My mistake here - didn't notice that CAC had not signed the application.

On the same day I went to the caretaker of hostel B (with all due respect, lets call him egg-head).
"Sir, I need to come to this hostel. I've got the application approved by the chairman and CAC."
Ponders over my half page application for 6.35 atrocious minutes.
"I can't take a decision without consulting the warden"
"But sir, its already approved, the CAC said I could straight away take a room"
"Why has he not signed your application"
Sigh.. sigh..
"Please meet the warden"

17th July (morning) - warden was not in his room/lab.
17th July (afternoon) - warden was not in his room/lab.
18th July (morning) - warden was not in his room/lab.
18th July (afternoon) - warden was not in his room/lab.
19th July (morning) - warden was not in his room/lab.

19th July (afternoon) - went back to the CAC. He signed my application with the note - "this student may be allowed to stay in hostel B. This wont affect the new allotment process".

Took that double-signed application to that egg-head -
"Sir, there - I have the sign"
"The English is ambiguous, 'may be allowed' - hmm.. not clear, isn't it?"
(Mentally - "WHAT THE F**K!!!!") "Yes sir, it is"
"Did you meet the warden"
"mmmmm.. yes. He only asked me to meet the CAC"
Egg-head calls the warden, sigh!
"The warden will come here and handle this. Come on 23rd morning"

23rd morning - went to egg-head, apparently the warden had not come there yet.
"Come in the afternoon!"
23rd afternoon - went to meet the egg-head - egg-head was not in his room.

I was so pissed off, i didn't bother to go there on 24th. 25th was my birthday, and I wanted to spend it peacefully, so I decided to postpone it that day also. For the first time I was thinking whether I can manage this project without changing the hostel, but a ring-tone interrupted my multi-million-dollar thought process -

"hello"
"abbe venky! where are you? the caretaker is looking for you"
Great! I rushed to hostel B.

Egg-head was clearly quite hot, I was afraid he might hatch.
"I've been looking for you since Monday"
"Sorry sir, I was busy with my project"
"Anyways, you have to move in now"

I had plans for my birthday that evening and it took a truck load of unwilling persuasion to postpone it by one day. So, 14 days, 3 signatures, 50000 calories and a zillion mental profanities later - here I was, in my new room.

4 comments:

Parul said...

lol! Sounded like an episode of Pankaj Kapur's Office Office!

Congrats! You finally succeeded.

Joe said...

yours is better. I am now in the process of making the management cut the grass. I can put a post about it in my blog though ;)

Vishal... said...

hehe....parul more than an episode, guess more than half of the film cud be completed..14 days after all...
hey btw a belated happy bday...

hey checked ur comments in violet-flowers.blogspot... even she writes amzingly gud

bw, the language part a frend of mine had come from bhopal... for normal language hindi " baarish aa rahi hai" they say " pani pad raha hai" hehe lol
cheerz

Venkatesh said...

@joe
Thanks man! Looking forward for a collaborative post some time :)

@vishal
thanks for the birthday wish and the review.

please share your profile dude!! it would be nice to know more about you :)